the journey of an artist

the journey of an artist

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Art Life ... Play




"Every child is an artist.

The problem is how to remain an artist
when he grows up."
-Pablo Picasso


Red Sail - 12 X 9 inches - oil on canvas - collection the artist


Did you ever notice how everyone refers to artistic creations as "work"? The very word makes me think of Maynard G. Krebs screaming "Work! Work!" (Oh, I am dating myself.) Or, it brings up the image of a passionate and overtired artist hovering over her canvas in the wee hours of the morning. And, yes, I have heard of artists working all night, or days at a time without a break.

I don't create like that. To me, oil painting is like play. In fact, the clothing I reserve only for painting I call my "play clothes" ... colorful t-shirts and cotton pants in psychodelic prints. Nothing I would wear in public, but dressing in such colorful comfort puts me in the mood.

So, every morning I put on my play clothes and pick out a disc to play from my husband's collection of over 700 CD's. Squeeze those luscious blobs of color onto the palette. Pick up one of my favorite brushes. And, GO!

I wonder if anyone would anyone take me seriously if I called my paintings "artplays" instead of "artworks"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.