the journey of an artist

the journey of an artist

Monday, December 15, 2008

Around the Studio ... Going Large


Painting In Progress
oil on canvas
24 inches by 24 inches

Many years before painting the smaller pieces I have been placing in this blog, I painted much larger artworks on canvas.  I am now returning to that earlier love.

I have long had a fascination with small, simple objects portrayed much larger than reality.  This interest began with discovering the way Georgia O'Keefe painted flowers.  She once said, "I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty."   That's how I feel.  

What is a cherry?  You can pass bags of them in the grocery store with hardly a notice, or absentmindedly hold a bunch in your hand before popping one in your mouth.  But, present them on a much larger scale and they become luscious, shiny, colorful orbs.  Almost an abstraction, and hard to ignore. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.