Friday, January 16, 2009

Ruffled Tulips


oil on canvas
20 inches by 16 inches
collection the artist

To make room for the recently painted larger canvases, I have been cleaning the studio.  When I came across some old photos of flowers, they brought back memories of the all the warm summer evenings I enjoyed working in my perennial garden in Spokane, Washington, before moving to Florida several years ago.  

Here in Florida, gardening is very different.  There's no dirt in my yard, just sand!  And the grass does not grow up but across like a vine, which makes raking impossible.  I am adjusting, planting the exotic flowers like plate sized hibiscus and thorny bouganvilleas, which are actually native to South America. But, it is just not as much fun as digging in dark, rich loam.

My northern garden had eight different tulip varieties, including black tulips that were a delight to see when they appeared each year.  My favorite tulips were the ruffled, which are also called "parrot tulips."  The petals of these flowers are often so swirling and twisted, so etched with daring combinations of colors, that it is difficult to recognize them as tulips at all.

This is my rendition of some white parrot tulips from my Spokane garden.  I tried to capture their spring dance, as well as the joy they gave me.


2 comments:

  1. Nance, I just had to stop and comment, I think your paintings are beautiful, and his larger tulip painting must be stunning in person! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nance . . . oh Nance . . . the ruffled tulips are exquisite! I'm lost in just looking at the photo online. Here I am in the middle of submitting grants and all that goes with 'helping those most in need' here in the area we serve. Your photo served exactly what I needed to see. Beauty. Absolutely exquisite beauty. Thank you for what you unknowingly give to those of us who so enjoy - no LOVE - your work. As for me, your friend Gail, I may not be able to devote time just yet to paint, but am able to live through you. Thank you, dear friend. I hope you are well and extend all my love to you and Al.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.