the journey of an artist

the journey of an artist

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Around the Studio ... Bougainvillea Finished


Bougainvillea
oil on canvas
40 by 30 inches
Available from the artist

It's been a busy couple of weeks while this piece was being painted. Working this large is always very exciting to me. It gives me a chance to really move paint around, and to put down details and delicate shadings that are more difficult in a smaller format. The process is slow, something like watching a jigsaw puzzle come together one section at a time. And, by day three, I begin to really feel the results of stretching to reach around the large canvas and of standing for long periods of time.

I have to admit that I feel a sense of relief that this painting is now almost done. Just a few details to correct and some glazing to do. So, I took some time off today to enjoy the day and sit in the sun. The Florida weather was just perfect for cloud watching.

While sitting in the garden, I noticed how splendidly the desert rose is flowering. So, off I went to get my camera. Another painting begins the design stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.