Monday, January 16, 2012

The Art Life ... Pausing


The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. "Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?" he asked.

"Begin at the beginning," the King said gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

----- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland


Recently, I have been taking an unplanned rest due to a shoulder injury. Although this is obviously not the most enjoyable (or most comfortable!) way to take some time off, it has given me the ability to pause and relish some things along the way.

Christmas dinner was quieter this year, with just my mother visiting my husband and me. Al made the most lovely lamb steaks with mint jelly, and a deep dish apple pie with walnuts and raisins for desert. The tree remained standing in the library longer, allowing me to watch its twinkling lights well into January. Even my Christmas cactus bloomed long and lazily, with buds still opening as I type this.

I spent days curled up on the sofa, made up as a bed with fresh sheets and soft pillows, to watch my favorite movies over and over. Books I have been meaning to get to finally did get read... "Without Reservations" by Alice Steinbach, "The Collapsing Universe" by Isaac Asimov, as well as Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink" and "What the Dog Saw." And, of course, there were lots of naps.

Time floated by slowly, yet it is mostly a blur (probably from the pain killers). But now, the easel calls, as well as other business responsibilities. There are the sunflower paintings that I have promised customers would be available in February. Several galleries to touch base with. A new year's marketing to plan. A website to update with new works.

Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.