5/8/13

Seeing

During lunch at a family restaurant, I liked these reflections enough to photograph them.

It's been a while since I wrote and you may be wondering what I have been doing.  Well, I have been seeing.  

Most people think of artists as those who spent a lot of time creating art. However, we artists spent much more time looking at and taking note of visual phenomenon around us.  Without this ability, we cannot produce our art.

For example, let's look at a rose.  Okay, it is red, but what color red? When that red goes into shadow, what colors does that shadow take on? What does the sunlight do to the that red at the points it hits most brightly? What shape are the petals? Are the petals stiff or soft, thick or delicate, and how can that be reproduced in paint? Does the flower express an emotion? Are the petals young, reaching upwards with optimism? Or, are they more mature, wide open in a soft, welcoming shape?

A visit to the mall means I notice the patterns created by the overhead lights reflecting off the hard, polished floor.  The window displays are like melodies, some flowing and smooth with coordinating colors, others loud and discordant.  Likewise, a car trip takes me through groups of colored vehicles dancing on the highway. I note the strong contrast of a lemon yellow taxi against a midnight blue van. Driving through a rural area, I watch the ever changing palette of green paints (spring, sap, hooker's, teal, olive).  At the shore, the ocean rolls gently in teals and violets, and I wonder how to paint the twinkling of sunlight on the waves.


So, as you see, I have been very busy.




3 comments:

  1. Nance, this expresses just how I bumble through my life. . . "ooh! look at that color, , , what an interesting texture. . . wow, that light, where's my camera, NOW!"

    My husband now takes photos he thinks I will like, and is always quick to offer to pull off the road if we notice something special.

    Life is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jana! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note! My husband takes a lot of photos for me, too. Aren't we lucky to be married to such sweet guys?

    Hope you are enjoying your day, Nance

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to take lessons from you...wait...I think I just did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what you think about my work.