the journey of an artist

the journey of an artist

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Art Life ... Watching Paint Dry

Have you heard the saying, "It's like watching paint dry"? Well, that's the reality in the studio this summer. Paintings are drying very slowly. It's not all paintings, just the ones using larger areas of very light tones. I think it is the white paint I use, which is wonderfully opaque but has the reputation for being slow to dry.


I blame the very high humidity during this Florida summer. The air here is always damp, and rain falls almost daily during late summer through early autumn. But, this year is the worse I have been in my ten years in the state. Right now, at 7:30 in the morning, the humidity is 92%, overcast and with thunderstorms expected. Ditto for the next ten days.

Normally, it takes 3 to 5 days for an oil painting to be dry to the touch, with some colors faster. Even with the air conditioning on 24/7, and fans running, I have one painting that is still wet after almost a month. A month!

"Patience, patience" is becoming my mantra. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I used to paint, that oils seemed to stay wet forever. Of course, my memory might be faulty as it was a long time ago. Also, it was "paint by numbers," lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.