the journey of an artist

the journey of an artist

Friday, June 10, 2016

The Art Life … Self Portrait

I hope you have had the chance to catch the TV series "Portrait Artist Of the Year, Sky Arts." If not, there is a short clip online:  click here to watch

If you are like me, you enjoy watching how artists create, and this unique program gives us a chance to see the portrait done in many styles and media. I enjoyed these shows so much that I have watched the recorded copies over and over, and learn something new at every viewing.

I cannot tell you the last time I did a painting of myself. Perhaps I have done maybe four in my lifetime, although one could argue that every painting is a bit of a self-portrait! Inspired by this show, I have recently made an attempt. Loved ones tell me it does look like me. Not satisfied, I think I will try another in the near future.



self portrait, 2016
16 x 12, oil on canvas

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Nance, you are beautiful! Did you take the opportunity to "do your make-up" on the canvas? 8-) I can't stand looking at my face longer than what it takes to apply mascara, so I NEVER do self-portraits. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note, Jana! I really did try to make this painting as true and real as possible, without hiding faults. However, my "laugh lines" do not show in this pose, but do appear when I am smiling. One friend has told me that I did capture the eyes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I always enjoy hearing what others think about my work.